Cypriot halloumi recipies are very very easy to put into practice. Halloumi is a very tasty and original kind of cheese. I propose you two well-known halloumi recipe ideas : grilling halloumi and fried halloumi cheese.
What is halloumi cheese ? Hallumi cheese is originated in Cyprus and is prepared with goat and sheep milk. This cheese has the property of not melting when heated. It is like mozzarella in texture but is has a salty flavour. It is usually served grilled or fried.
Why should we eat halloumi ?
- Grilled halloumi recipe is part of vegetarian halloumi recipes.
- Consumed with moderation, it is rich in proteins, carbonate and sodium and protects you against osteoporosis.
- Halumi cheese is an original cheese to put on your table : Grilled halloumi and fried halloumi cheese holds its shape and develops a rich golden crust when served.
- It is a popular cheese for barbecue served with grilled meat.
- It is also served in taverns with an cold beer, in summer and
- it is also served uncooked for desserts and snack with watermelon. I have seen that not in Greece but in Cyprus.
Where tobuy Cypriot halloumi ? You can find it in big supermarkets in Greece and in every grocery stand everywhere in Cyprus but you can also buy halloumionline at Amazon.com. You will find it in a healthy briny salt water bath. Tobuy Cyprus halloumi cheese click on the bellow frame.
Grilling halloumi recipe : Cut the halloumi into slices of 1cm thick. Cover each side of the cheese with olive oil. At medium-high heat, put the slices of cheese directly on the grill. They should be browned slightly but do not burnt them. The cheese slices need about 5 minutes on each side to get its irown color and to become soft. Plate the cheese and squeeze lemon lightly over the top. Serve immediately.
Grilled Halloumi cheese
Fry halloumi cheese : To pan- fry halloumi cheese, cut it into slices of 1cm thick. Heat a glass of sunflower oil (not olive oil because it’s too heavy) in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the cheese and fry for 5 minutes on each side. Plate the cheese and squeeze lemon lightly over the top. Serve immediately.
Fried Halloumi cheese
What is the Cypriot and Greek cheese list ? Greece and Cyprius have a long tradition in cheese making, from the 9th century B.C ! at least. These two countries breed many goats in their mountains, as you probably know. Traveling in Greece and Cyprus, you will taste many different cheese as following :
- Feta cheese (φέτα in Greek) which is white semi-soft cheese made from goat or sheep milk ripened and kept in brine in wooden barrels or in square aluminum tins. It’s never running out on Greek tables alone or in Greek Salad Horiatiki.
- Graviera (Φραβιέρα in Greek) which is light yellow hard cheese made from goat or sheep milk, with slighty sweet and nutty taste. There are Graviera Naxou (from Naxos Island), Graviera Kriti (from Creta), Graviera Arta (from town’s area of Arta) and Graviera Amfilohias. It’s used in pies, in pasta dishes and for snack with bread.
- Kefalotyri (Κεφαλοτύρι in greek) is a salty light yellow hard cheese made from goat and sheep milk. It’s nice for grating for spaghetti dishes but also for snack with ouzo or tsipouro (for aperitif).
- Kasseri (Κασέρι in greek) is light yellow semi-hard cheese made from ewe’s and goat milk. You can serve it to have an aperitive with ouzo or tsipouro. It is also used for snack or for pizza making.
- Manouri (Μανούρι in greek) is white soft not salty cheese made after the manufacturing of feta. It is served with tomatoe paste as a greek mezze but it’s also used in pies, desserts such as cheesecakes.
- Myzithra (Μυζήθρα in greek) is a salty hard cheese used for grating on pasta.
- Ladotyri (Λαδοτύρι in greek) is an hard piquant and salty cheese found especially at Lesvos island made of olive oil, ewe’s and goat milk. It is usually grilled to have an aperitive.
My experience : When I travel in Greece, I like to taste every regions’ cheese. It is absolutely fabulous ! Even every small village in Greece or Cyprus has its own cheese. Every island has from the above cheese listed but made in a different way. Greek cuisine is so various and so healthy everywhere you go but go to places with little tourist appeal to taste fresh traditional greek food…