What is better than a traditional Greek main course of Cretan mediterranean diet for your family in Winter? Nothing better than a natural, healthy, simple and cheap lentils soup (φακές = fakes in Greek) from Greek cuisine. No, lentils are not disgusting at all !! Okay, they haven’t good appearance and have a singular taste but you must know that this traditional modest dish is absolutely fantastic and it is on every Greek table once a week. You should taste also this month’s special menu also for vegetarians and vegans of course I make you discover today…
Learn to live on a constant diet of healthy food. You surely know about mediterraenan way of eating. No need to travel to Greece and have lunch in a Greek restaurant : through this article, I will telling you something simple about Greece through Greek traditional recipes with an amazing dish, for vegetarian people also, made of lentils and olive oil. Why do I choose to make you discover this Greek recipe ? For some goods reasons that I make you know here below :
- What are lentils ? :Lentils are edible beans mainly produced in Canada. They are having been part of the human diet since the Neolithic times ! Lentils have the third-highest level of protein. They include essential amino acids and lysine, dietary fiber, folate, vitamin B and minerals. Lentils are a good source of iron. Health magazine has selected lentils as one of the five healthiest foods.
- Lentils are cheap : In these difficult time of economic crisis, lentils recipe are becoming fashionable. You can find lentils everywhere in supermarkets or, if you want to or if it is easier for you, you can buy lentils here on line in Amazon.com . I propose you today a very simple, cheap and tasty Greek food recipe : Lentils soup
- The evening before cooking the lentils, soak them in warm water overnight. Three hours before starting cooking them, place them in a large saucepan and cover them with 1 good inch of water and placed over medium-high heat, bring them a boil. After 10 minutes of boiling, put away the white scum and over medium heat and let them boil for one hour.
- In the saucepan, pour in olive oil and tomato paste. Αdd garlic, onion, carrot, the 2 bay leaves, a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in the lentils soup 1 quart water, a little bit oregano. Bring to boiling half an hour to an hour after having reduced heat to medium-low.
- As soon as the lentils and other ingredients have softened enough, you are ready. There is nothing else to do except serving your family ! This Greek main course can be served with Greek salads : for example, letucce minced with onions minced and dill minced.
Read book description and customer(s) review for the book « Regional Greek cooking » here on Amazon.com at the bottom of the page. Have an idea of the contents of the book if you click on the image of the book on this same page.
Buy here the hardcover book »Regional Greek cooking » on Amazon.com
Buy here the e-book Kindle edition »Regional Greek cooking« on Amazon.com.