What is better than a traditional Greek main course of Cretan mediterranean diet for your family in Winter? Nothing better than a natural, healthy, simple and cheap lentils soup (φακές = fakes in Greek) from Greek cuisine. No, lentils are not disgusting at all !! Okay, they haven’t good appearance and have a singular taste but you must know that this traditional modest dish is absolutely fantastic and it is on every Greek table once a week. You should taste also this month’s special menu also for vegetarians and vegans of course I make you discover today…
Learn to live on a constant diet of healthy food. You surely know about mediterraenan way of eating. No need to travel to Greece and have lunch in a Greek restaurant : through this article, I will telling you something simple about Greece through Greek traditional recipes with an amazing dish, for vegetarian people also, made of lentils and olive oil. Why do I choose to make you discover this Greek recipe ? For some goods reasons that I make you know here below :
- What are lentils ? :Lentils are edible beans mainly produced in Canada. They are having been part of the human diet since the Neolithic times ! Lentils have the third-highest level of protein. They include essential amino acids and lysine, dietary fiber, folate, vitamin B and minerals. Lentils are a good source of iron. Health magazine has selected lentils as one of the five healthiest foods.
- Lentils are cheap : In these difficult time of economic crisis, lentils recipe are becoming fashionable. You can find lentils everywhere in supermarketsI propose you today a very simple, cheap and tasty Greek food recipe : Lentils soup
- The evening before cooking the lentils, soak them in warm water overnight. Three hours before starting cooking them, place them in a large saucepan and cover them with 1 good inch of water and placed over medium-high heat, bring them a boil. After 10 minutes of boiling, put away the white scum and over medium heat and let them boil for one hour.
- In the saucepan, pour in olive oil and tomato paste. Αdd garlic, onion, carrot, the 2 bay leaves, a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in the lentils soup 1 quart water, a little bit oregano. Bring to boiling half an hour to an hour after having reduced heat to medium-low.
- As soon as the lentils and other ingredients have softened enough, you are ready. There is nothing else to do except serving your family ! This Greek main course can be served with Greek salads : for example, letucce minced with onions minced and dill minced.