What is chick pea and where does it come from ? The chickpea is a legume of the family Fabaceae and it is one of the earliest cultivated legumes: They were found in the late Neolithic (about 3500 BCE) at Dimini settlement near Volos town and at Lerna (in the Peloponnese).
Why should we eat Greek chick peas soup ? Because chick peas benefits are huge with chich pea flour nutrition very good for your health. Here are below nutrition facts chick peas which are:
- a helpful source of minerals (manganese, potassium, iron…) and a high source of protein and provide dietary fibers (against constipation e.g.)
- are low in fat and most of this is polyunsatured,
- also provide dietary phosphorous which is higher that the amount found in a 100-gram serving of whole milk.
- can assist in lowering of cholesterol in the bloodstream. Including 3/4 cup (175 mL) of chickpeas in your diet each day can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which reduces the risk of hearth disease
- helps you sleep better because they contain vitamins B6
Here is the cheapest recipe ! Here is chick pea recipe vegetarian and chick pea recipe for vegans as well. The best way to cook chick peas in Greece is to cook chick peas soup. It is my favourite main course in Greece and I cook it very often. Here is the chick pea recipe:
Ingredients for 4 persons: 2 cup of dried chickpeas, 1 litre of water, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 cup of olive oil, 1 onion cut in 10 slices, 2 potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt
Preparation: The night before, soak the chickpeas in a bowl with plenty of water because they will double in size. The next day, put them in another bowl of water with the baking soda for 30 minutes. Rub them with your hands to remove any skins. Then, place the chickpeas and water in a pot and bring to a boil. As the water boils, skim off the foam formed at the surface of the stock. Reduce heat, add the onion, cover partially, and let simmer until the chickpeas are soft – about 2 hours-. Within these 2 hours, add 2 potatoes cut down the middle : in this way, you will obtain creamy soup at the end. If needed, add more water during cooking. Add salt and olive oil, cook half an hour longer. You are ready. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if whished to thicken up the soup.
To discover more on Vegetarian cuisine, I propose you to buy the very good and for years tested book »From a traditional Greek kitchen : Vegetarian cuisine » edited in 1992 by Aphrodite Polemis. To buy the book, click on the below left frame.