One of the many healthy authentic greek recipes is Greek chicken okra recipe. Here is a traditional greek recipe easy to make : Okra with tomato sauce Greek style recipe. Okra with chicken, in greek Μπάμιες με κοτόπουλο (Bamies me kotopoulo) is a traditional greek recipe
What is okra and what does it taste like ? Okra is also named gumbo or ladies’ fingers and exist in many parts of the world but it has its origin in Africa.The specie we are going to eat is a flowering plant and we eat the fruit which is a kind of capsule up to 5 cm long, containing seeds. It’s taste is sweet as green beans. Okra health properties :Okra confer a number of health advantages which are the following :
- It is a good low-calorie, fat-free, additional to any diet.
- It is full of dietary fibers. Soluble fibers prevent diabetes and high blood cholesterol,
- It lessens risk of obesity, heart diseases and hypertension.
- It is rich in Vitamin C which has antioxidant properties. Vitamin C is also required for bone, skin, blood vessel and immune system health.
- It’s has a lot of vitamin B9 required for good nervous system, for the synthesis of red blood cells (recommended to pregnant women).
- It is full of antioxidants that prevent heart disease, cancer and neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s disease.
Traditional okra recipes of Greece. Yes, in all Greece, during all summer period, we applicate okra recipe. Greek like healthy food and are near to Mediterranean diet. Okra with chicken recipe is a typical Greek recipe that calls for chicken to be stewed in okra, tomatoes, and onions etc… Let’s learn how to prepare an original greek menu with Okra and chicken. Where can I buy okra from ? The best is to buy fresh small okra in open-air market or in grocery stores of your town. For lack of fresh okra, you can buy frozen okra in your supermarket or on line on Amazon.fr.
To buy online, click on the below frame on the left.
How to make okra with tomato sauce and chicken ? Here is below the recipe for 4 persons: Ingredients : 4 pounds of chicken cut in pieces, 1 onion diced, 2 cups of olive oil, 3 cups of water, 2 pounds of fresh or frozen okra, 3 mixed ripe tomatoes, 2 tablespoon of vinegar, 2 pinches of salt and peper Preparation : Rinse okra and let in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and vinegar and set aside to avoid getting slimy okra. Peel gently okra tips which are like caps without making the seeds appear. Put the chicken, onion, olive oil, and 1 pinch of salt into a saucepan and brown over medium heat for 15 minutes. You stir occasionally. Add the tomato mixture and the water. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook until chicken is cooked and okra is tender with its sauce, which is about 30 minutes. And here we are ready !
Enjoy your meal !