Greek yogurt How it’s made ? There is an easy way to make greek yogurt with yogurt maker. Then, follow my Traditional Greek yogurt dessert recipes easy to make : Greek yogurt with honey and nuts recipe and Greek yogurt recipes dressing. Greek yogurt vs european yogurt ? No need to lay a bet for this. Natural Greek yogurt health benefits are enormous and you become an Eco friend
1. Homemade yogurt health benefits :
- You choose your quality ingredients (type of milk -raw whole milk is better-, starter culture, sweetener) free of preservatives.
- Your yogurt is very rich in protein, calcium, riboflavin, vitamins B6 and B12 and minerals
- Commercial yogurt are fermented for only 1 hour preventing the probiotic bacteria from reaching adequate strength. The live probiotic bacteria make your yogurt easily digestible.
- Your active culture in yogurt improves gastro-intestinal conditions like lactose intolerance, constipation, diarrhea, colon cancer and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Your yogurt for your kids undergoing a course of antibiotics. The bacterias in yogurt help to rebuild their intestinal flora devastated by antibiotics.
- The bacteria in your yogurt also discourage easier vaginal infections…
2. Yogurt maker : You are tired of eating commercial yogurts of uncertain quality and questionable ingredients. You are not doing so much busy office work so that you can not longer make something handmade. Well, why not making your yogurts by yourself ? Why ?
- If you’re interested in healthy, making your own yogurt is the way to go.
- After several batches of yogurt made, you’ll recover the cost of the maker
- Homemade yogurt tastes better, are fresher & softer, have no artificial ingredients (no additives, sweeteners and thickeners)
- Homemade yogurt has 3 times the nutritional value of milk or store-bought yogurts.
It is quite easy if you have the yogurt maker I do have. It’s Salton YMP 1-quart I bought recently (Buy it clicking the frame above on the left)
.This is the most convenient yogurt maker you can have. Use the 1 liter (1-quart) wide mouth mason jar and fill with fat/non-fat milk (not ultra-pasteurized and with no preservatives or stabilizers) heated for 6 min at 82 degrees Celsius (microwave). Add and stir 1/2 cup of yogurt from last danon plain or from Yogurt Starter Euro Cuisine RI 1020 (pack of 50g) that I use and let sit the mixture undisturbed for 8 hours. Put in refrigerator for at least 8 hours. For thick and creamy Greek yogurt, put a coffee filter into a strainer, then spoon the yogurt in.
3. My Greek traditional yogurt recipes :
b) Greek yogurt salad with yogurt dressing (photo above on the left). For 4 persons, in a bowl, I had seeded and diced 2 tomatoe, half seedless cucumber, 1 long green pepper, chopped 1/2 red onion. In this large salad bowl, I whisk together the lemon juice, yogurt, 1 small clove of garlic finely chopped, the olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper.