Kefalonia is one of the best greek islands for holidays. For your Ionian island holidays kefalonia is the best place to visit in Greece in summer. But what to see in Kefalonia Greece ? In Kefalonia Grece What to do ? Where to stay in Kefalonia island ?
Kefalonia island map Greece
Kefalonia Greece How to get there ? There are many flights from England and from Athens to Kefalonia island. You can also get a ferry at Astakos port, on the western coast, if you do not mind covering a distance in the Greek mainland.
Kefalonia how to visit ? I recommend to visit it with a car you can rent.
The best places to visit in Kefalonia are the following :
1. Kefalonia island Melissani cave Greece. It is north-west of Sami village. Forests are surrounding the cave and the mountain Roudi. Melissani caves are feature of karst environment in coastal carbonate aquifer. The vertical shaft gives access to the lake where you can do a round trip on a small boat. It is 50 meters long / 35 m width / up to 30 m deep. The hydrogeologique system of the island is surprisingly beautiful. A tunnel was built to reach the Melissani lake. Melissani caves ticket : 6-7 € per person) for a visit on boat.
2. Xi beach on Kefalonia Island is located south, 8kms from Lixouri town. The surrounding sediment and cliffs at Xi Beach are made up of a grey-white clay eroded into sharp slopes by the rainfalls. The beach is made up of a soft and orange colour sand. Xi beach Kefalonia pictures you can make never to be forgotten for sure.
3. Village of Assos in Kefalonia island : Assos is loacted west in the Kefalonia island. The Venetian fortress is imposing its elegance on the lovely peninsular village of Asos. I love to go swimming there looking at this very colourful village.
4. Fiskardo bay is definitively a paradise right in front of Ithaca island. Fiskardo with its traditional coloured houses following Venitian style. Fiscardo is into 2 klms bay in which the port is located. The village has a pitturesque small fishing fleet and a diving center. Kefalonia beaches near Fiscardo are amazing.
5. Myrtos beach in Kefalonia. The sediment of Myrtos beach is made up of marble material, a kind of metamorphosed limestone. It is covered with white round cobblestones. A real paradise on earth.
6. Argostoli what to see ? A really nice town of 12.000 inhabitants. It is the main town of Kefalonia island. Go and see the lighthouse of Saint Theodori on a peninsula about 4 kms north of Argostoli (constructed in 1828), this stone bridge (constructed in 1813) and the Archaeological museum with its mycenian collection. I love to be out for a walk in the morning there, taking my cafe frappe with the local greeks.
Where to stay in Kefalonia island ? I visited Kefalonia with my family 3 years ago and I returned there in May this year. We stayed at Galaxi hotel in Argostoli town. This is a very simple hotel but very clean and the personel was so kind with us. The swimming pool is large and the bar has always fresh products. And something else : We were just 15 mns from the airport.
My experience : Kefalonia is for sure one of the nicest islands in Greece. Kefalonia lanscapes are so different from location to location. I had only 15 days in the island and I had the impression that it was not enough (visits to villages, to castles, to museums, scuba-diving, laziness on the idyllic beaches of the island, tasting all cheeses and local wines ect). Kefalonia beaches and villages are wonderful… maybe the best I tested in my life in Greece.
To learn more about Kefalonia, what about having a good travel guide ? The book intitled « Discovering Kefalonia & Ithaki of Henriette Metaxas (182 pages) is wonderful. After having read her book, I could see Kefalonia island differently.